Monday, October 4, 2021

Train Layout Progress #5

 Connecting the two sections

I knew this was going to be difficult.  The plan was to line up the two pieces, push them together to the point that the track would start to touch.  Then use the bolts to slowly pull the two pieces together.  First I had to build a shelf for the top deck to rest on.  Prior to cutting it, both the underlying plywood and the homasote layer extended over the junction of the two pieces. 

Tightening the bolts slowly brought the two pieces together.  Lining up the track and keeping it lined up was hard.  There was lots of loosening and tightening until it went together.  The bottom deck was fairly easy.   The top deck had a relatively large gap in it as seen in these pictures.  


I used an oscillating saw to cut this.  The gap was not the large when I cut it.  I had to redo the connection of each track that crossed the gap with was different combination of tracks.  This gap had to caused when I dropped this during packing.  The whole upper deck must have moved back on the supports when it hit the floor.  I looked at trying to pull it back, but there was nothing to grab with a clamp to pull against.  I just added more track and will fill the gap with acrylic filler when the time comes.

This completes the train update.  More later on some trees I bought on Amazon, a more thorough track testing and explanation of the wireless train control I am using.





No comments:

Post a Comment