Monday, January 16, 2023

Sewing Room - Upgrade

 A complete change of pace, adding more storage to the sewing room.

The upgrade will consist of multiple wall storage units from IKEA.  This time I am using the Kallax bookcases as the base.  The first wall unit is this one.

This consists of 5 by 5 on the bottom and two 2 by 2s on the top.  The top is done with a gap in the middle.  The two top bookcases were attached using standard sheet rock type screws as shown here.


Then all three bookcases are attached to the wall using the standard hardware provided by IKEA.  Except i move the bookcases locations so that the screws would go into the studs in the wall.  This makes the three sections act as one piece now.

 
 
In order for the bookcases to be flat against the wall, the baseboard had to be removed as can be seen here.



The next issue was the switches on the wall.  There are three switches
  1. The overhead electrical box.
  2. The half hot electrical box in the wall.
  3. The fan electrical box.
The overhead electrical box was for the track lighting I put in.  this provides adequate task lighting for all for the two main work areas.  Putting up eight foot tracks on a 10 foot ceiling was a challenge, but it is done. Included my wife standing on a step stool with a broom, trying to hold 8 foot end in place while I attached the other end.



 
One of the vertical walls of the 5 by 5 bookcase went right over the switch plate.  I cut a small notch in it so the book case would sit flat against the wall.  But this made one of the switches inaccessible.  Fortunately this was the fan switch, so I just removed it.  Permanently connected the fan and placed a blank off plate with a note to remind me the fan is always connected.


That left the track lights and the wall half hot which has stand lamp connected to it.  Since these are at the back of a cubby, either the space can't be used or switch access will be limited.  I already have a Lutron Caseta wireless system in the house. I installed On-Off Caseta switches for the track lights and the stand lamp, as seen above.  Then I installed two PICO remote controls on the side of the bookcase as shown here.

This provides a user experience that is the same as a normal wall switch.  Now the original wall switch access is not needed and thus the cubby can be used.  If access is ever needed, we just clean out the cubby.  The notch in the book case provides enough space to remove and install the switch plate.

The track light connection in the ceiling is the only 120VAC connection in the house that had not been tested.  I changed out the mechanical switches for two smart switches, they are not dimmers just switches.  The down side to these is they require a neutral wire, fortunately code up here says the neutral has to be brought to the switch box.  I have installed about 8 of these now, the first 7 went perfect.  The switched plug one worked as expected.  But the track lights would not turn on.  If I took a light out of the track and put it back in, it came on and the switch would turn it off. But would never turn it on.

I did not even want to think that the wiring was messed up.   I started thinking the switch was dead, or could not handle the LED track light or the wiring came loose or something.  So I disconnected the track lights at the ceiling, wired the track lights to cord with a plug and plugged into the switched outlet.  It all worked with a smart switch.  Thus it had to be somewhere between the switch in the wall and the ceiling connection.  This meant removing the wall palate and pulling the switches out of the box.  It could have been worse.  All the connections were solid, nothing had loosened or slipped out of a wire nut.  So I disconnected the offending switch and just hot wired the ceiling box.  And it worked.  Well the wiring is good and that is a good thing.

 I reconnected all of the wires just to  be sure.  As a last resort, I go to the LUTRON site ( LUTRON Caseta Smart Switches) to see if they have any sage advice.  First thing on the list is reverse the two black wires.    I have installed 7 of these without even a thought about which black wire goes where, with no issues.  My track lights work.  I had a 50-50 chance and  got it right 7 times.  Maybe I should play the slot machines. 

And this is done.






No comments:

Post a Comment