Thursday, January 26, 2023

Light Buddy 2 - The Need

 


I have been working on a LEGO generator design for the large LEGO display.  I needed at least 5 LEDs.  4 of them generate a pulsating electric thingee, kind of like a lightning effect or an arc welding effect.  I do this with a PWM generator and then randomly change the times and pulse width.  Not perfect but it does a good job.   I needed this to be small and with some new PICs that have multiple PWMs and independent timers, I think I can get this down to a the size of a 2x4 Lego brick (15.5 x 31.25mm), although it is two sided.  The PIC controllers I am looking at are PIC16F18326, PIC16F18426, PIC18F06Q40 and PIC18F06Q41.  These are the large memory versions.  Once the code size is determined, may be able to move to smaller memory versions.  This will just give more flexibility in ordering, considering the state of IC availability has only marginally improved.

The amazing part was that the PCB vendor I am using for PCBs (PCBWAY) is selling  2 layer, 10 pieces for $5 total, $23 in shipping and 24 hour turn if in green, any other color is 5-6 days.  At those prices it is almost not worth wiring a manual proto anymore.  Could build some generic proto boards to play with.  The max size appears to be 100x100mm or just under 4x4".  And if I were to do multiple designs, the cost would be less since they will all fit in a single package.
 

This may be the next LED controller.


No comments:

Post a Comment