Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Windows 11 Upgrade

 

Well it was time to upgrade to Win11 on at least some machines.  Taking a big gamble, I did my file server first.  Surprisingly this went very smoothly.  All of the Win 10 machines still had access to files and printers.  Next was my main development laptop.  Again it went smoothly until I tried connecting to one of my HID devices.

In this post from September 2021 and the followup in October 2021, I talk about issues I had with the Jedi JVC Controller software for HID control in Delphi.  These issues only applied to my HP Elitebook 850 G5.  So tracing back into the JEDI HID controller source, I found where the error handler was being raised and then what HID device was failing.  As before it was "HID Sensor Collection V2".  Again it was not showing up in the standalone Microchip HID Test program.  The Jedi HID code indicated that once again it was failing the get attributes call to the Windows HID.dll.  Finally the JEDI HID code would raise the "Device cannot be identified" error.

But under HID devices in the Device Manager this was not listed.  Last time I had changed the HID driver to a generic HID controller and that fixed everything.  After searching around, I noticed a sensor category in the Device Manager and that is where it was.  Changed the driver to Generic HID and the error went away.  

What I did notice is that the error handler described in the second post above, was not present.  It looks like I did it on all the USB Power devices PC applications, but not for the Brick Controller.  So that is now implemented and all is as it was before the Windows 11 upgrade.

Is Windows 11 better, so far I don't think it is better or worse, just different😜



 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment