Monday, July 24, 2023

PICkit 5 First Look


 Greetings!   

Summer always seems to be the hardest time to Blog.  Between wanting to get outside and enjoy the fresh air and surroundings and working (specifically Blogging), the working is losing.  But things are happening.

First as I alluded to in this post, I have had concerns about the state of my PICkit 4.  I only use it on the processors that a PICkit 3 won't work on.  At this time that is 18F46Q71 that I use in the Brick Buddy 3.  It will sometimes get into a state that only a complete recycle of everything(PICkit, target PCB and the entire PC) is needed.  You cannot buy PICkit 4 anymore through distribution/Microchip.  I have become worried that the one I have will fail, which would really hurt my development.  This is the main reason I purchased the PICkit 5.  I am also hoping that it will do better with the new processors.

I installed MPLAB X version 6.10 (required).  I first tested with a PICkit 4 and the PIC18FQ71 Brick Buddy 3.  As stated in the previous referenced post, this combination and Version 6.05 would not work.  But with version 6.10, it worked just fine.  Changing out to the PICkit 5, still works as intended.  Now I have not tried any of the SD Card/BT features, so I cannot comment on those.  But the USB interface to MPLAB X works as you would expect.  In a month or two I will try to write more as I get more experience with it.  I am especially looking forward to using the SD Card/BT to program Brick Buddy's in a MOC.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment