Friday, August 4, 2023

Antenna Care


 Here is the issue.  This Antenna (Part Number 2569) is fairly rare and thus expensive.  Prices in the US start at $4.00, while the black version starts at $0.01.  These parts can bend very easily if not stored properly.  I have had the solid color version (red, black yellow) have minor bending when a large number are all placed in single bin.  Thus I am concerned about how to store these.

I started with these two ideas. 

The ball at the end of antenna barely fits through the 1/2 length Technic pin.  Antenna removal required removing the the three 1x2 Technic Brick with Holes.  Removing the bricks was not easy and would often stress the antenna as the ball tried to pass through the Technic pin. 

Next I removed the Technic pin.  Now there is ample room for the ball end of the antenna to slide through the Technic Brick.  But Technic Brick would still be hard to remove and then the sudden break of the brick connection would again put stress on the antenna.

 

Which led to this implementation.  There are 1x8 Technic Bricks with Holes on each end.  Each 1x8 brick has the 1/2 pins inserted.  The antenna is inserted from one end.  Some minor pressure is exerted to make the ball end pass through the 1/2 pin on the other end, but it is very minor to none.

This shows the other end.  With a 8x10 plate arrangement (combined 6x8 and 4x8) the entire antenna is captured.

I noticed some flexing of the built up 8x10 plate.  I changed the arrangement to have three 1x10 bricks across the bottom to give it structure. 

This is the final version.  I noticed that when I reached three bricks high on the 1x8 Technic Bricks, they started to lean in or out.  So I placed a 6x10 plate every two high.  I also changed up the end the antenna is inserted, to make removal easier.  So far it seems to work.  

As long as I can keep direct sun and excessive heat, this should work.




No comments:

Post a Comment