Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Laser Cannon Platform (Update 2)

I started on the platform for the Large laser cannon.  I want to be able to control the azimuth of the large cannon and the two smaller twin cannons separately.  That meant three motors.   So here is the gear train for the large cannon.  To make it slow enough (dont have PWM motor control yet) I needed a 5 stage gear.  This is as tight as I could make it.

I probably could have used the technic gear box to change direction, but I felt the large turn table was better for moving such a large piece.


A closer view.


Here is how the small twin cannon control looks.  This uses a technic gear box to change direction. 


This picture shows why the long axle was used.  Even though there is plenty of room on the left side for more gears, the right side is constrained by the large cannon gear train and motor. Since I wanted them to be the same, I used the long axle to place two gear reduction stages up by the motor then 3 more by the gear box.  Used most of the space.

Here are two close ups of the right side with both gear trains.  
 



I suspect I will have to make some adjustments in the support members around these gear trains so that the deck plating can be installed.  But the generic platform design is flexible enough to allow for this without compromising any structural integrity.

Next task on this platform is to build the deck plating and attach the laser cannons and the overhead power structure.


No comments:

Post a Comment