Sunday, July 5, 2020

Brick Buddy Two Integration

With the successful integration of Motor control, the only missing functionality from Brick Buddy One is the Bluetooth interface and the scripting language.  The scripting language is going to take some thought, so I will do the BT interface first. 

Below is a quick video of LEDs bursting, cycling and pulsing along with one motor working at reduced speed.  You can see there are some issues with the green LED.  Right now I am going for functionality, then the code needs to be hardened.

The biggest issue was integrating a dynamic timer for the system timer (100ms, 500ms and 1000ms timing loops) and the static timer needed for the PWM, as explained in this post.  Harmony does not allow you to do this, so I had to do it manually.  How this was done is a topic for another post.  Then it was cleaning up the PC software to accommodate the speed functionality.

I suspect the BT is going to create it's own issues with the introduction of another serial port.  Right now a serial port is used to put out debug messages ( the ubiquitous printF type statements).  The BT module is on its own serial port and getting that installed will probably be as challenging as the second timer was.  Fortunately the debug port is static and I intend to make the BT serial power static as well.  So maybe it will be a little simpler.

After the BT is done and before I start the scripting, I am going to back into this code and start some cleanup.  There was some "hacking" done to get things to work and that needs to be fixed.  I am starting to see issues when the ICD3 is attached that I dont see when the board is just running.  I would like to spend some time with that also.

and the video



No comments:

Post a Comment