Saturday, April 3, 2021

Setup Progress #1


There is progress.  As explained in the last blog post, the Brick Buddy did start.  Since then, I manged to compile the PIC32 firmware and achieve some success.  After a few days of working on the PIC32 firmware and learning it again.  (Almost forgot how to code in C).  I discovered that the PIC32 was just too fast for the RN4040 BT Module.  This had always been unreliable since I started working on the BT portion.  Some times it would work and sometimes it would not.  In the PIC18 based Brick Buddy I, this was not a problem.  A small delay and it worked flawlessly.  Also there was limited code space/free RAM in the PIC18 design and examining the BT Module response would have consumed valuable memory.

I restructured the code to wait for the RN4020 response.  I am not examining the response in all cases yet, but that is the plan.  There needs to be a path in the initialization state machine for the every response to be verified before proceeding to the next.  If it continues to fail, then a message needs to be sent out the USB port for the user.

In the process of doing this, I also slightly restructured the USB initialization.  I am undecided if I am keeping this.  Right now the BT Module is completely initialized before the USB module.  There might be some advantage the other way around for messaging to the user.  Right now I use a serial console port for this.  It wont be exposed in the final product.

I was able to connect via Android to the Brick Buddy, though the new controls are not implemented yet.  That is the next thing that needs to happen.  I also need to come up with a user interface for 10 LEDs.

I had my second COVID shot yesterday and as the day wore on, I could tell I was beginning to feel the effects.  I will close this entry out now and continue the update tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment