Friday, July 6, 2018

LEDs for the Platforms (Part 2)

So I have developed this method for mounting hidden LEDs and those that act as overhead lighting for enclosed spaces.  I am using  very bright (>5000 mcd), wide angle (110 degrees), dome shaped LEDs.  I have used these to light portions of HO train layout and they work very nice.

Here I have mounted a pair to a perf board that I cut up with a dremel tool.  If this proves useful, I may do a small PC board for this purpose.


The dome shape is clearly visible on the one laying on its side.  In this case, as opposed to the Laser cannon setup, I have included a dropping resistor (120 ohms) in each path.  These are SMT0805 resistors.  I realize this is not for everyone, but for me it was the most compact method. It is mounted on a 1x4 tile (using the Kragle) so it just snaps into  place as shown here.



This dual light set was designed for the vertical generator to be mounted in the charging room across from the glass window in this picture.  It will be connected to the random PWM generator to produce a random intensity bright flashing light.


Here is a single mount design.  This is intended for mounting on ceilings to light up a compartment with the look of a domed overhead light.  I mounted these on 1x2 plates, so that it would be centered and still have some attachment strength.


Finally a lot of the small Laser Cannons are done with robotic arm ball joint.  Here is a series of pictures that show how this is done.  All of these designs use the PICO LED from BrickStuff.  The first design uses a 1x2 round brick to  connect to the ball joint.


This design uses a technic 2L connector.  



In all cases I had to drill out the ball joint barrel to run the wire.  In the first case I also slice one side of the perpendicular connector with an Xacto knife so I could run the wire through the connector.  In the second case the hole went al the way though the perpendicular connector since the wire is on the outside.

The challenge with all of these is running the wires.  When multiple LEDs are present I will connect the ground returns together to at least reduce the number of wires that I have to hide.


No comments:

Post a Comment