Friday, November 10, 2023

Curved Cliff - Part 4

 

More progress, but this time it is not actually on the cliff wall or the plateaus.  This work was all in the front and concerned the platform connectors.  This picture shows the platform connectors I was using for the development work.  The two straight connectors are the ones I have used in the display for a while.  They are shown below.

The same goes for the small angle platform connector shown below.

The angle connector on the left side was a modified version of the large angle platform connector. I needed it to be 22.5 degrees so the standard 45 degree cut wedge plate pieces would work.  After looking at these and how they were performing, I decided that it was time to build a custom platform connector (actually two) for this curved portion.  The total distance covered was too great for just Technic pins to support the connections.  Buy building customs platform connectors, I can reinforce the platform connector so there is no sag.  And, I was going to have to replace these for the display if I used them, so I was going to have to build something.  Might as well as be these new custom platform connectors.

Here is where I ended up.  Right now they are just functional, no detail has been added.


Here are closeups of the custom platform connectors.  The largest area in the turn was added to the platform in front of the curved cliff section.  



Here you can see what was replaced.

Detailing these platform connectors is the next step.  These are much bigger than a standard platform connector.  On the left I am thinking about another ramp similar to the one I did for the floating platform.  Plus a staircase up to the walkway that goes around the display.  This could be some kind of loading dock.  The other one will be some variation of what it replaced, vents and a control panel.  A maintenance station would be the best description.  






No comments:

Post a Comment