Monday, January 15, 2024

First Module Rebuild - Part 2


 Progress on this rebuild.  

In the last blog entry, the module looked like this.  I have made some progress.

I used this large motor, mostly because originally I had the space for it.  I still do, so I am continuing to use it.  But I am changing over the drive to a worm gear.  I used to two small bevel bears to change the axle direction 90 degrees, before attaching the worm gear.

A different view that shows the two bevel gears and their arrangement.

Here is the structure installed.  The brick controller will go on one side, probably the blue.  While they look equally empty, the purple side still needs a gear reduction set installed.

Here you can see the reduction gear set installed.

In keeping with the original design, I have two minifigs, one on either end.  They control this portion of the module. The large red gear protruding through the floor is driven by the worm gear.

Better view of the gear reduction set.  Also there is an alternate control panel setup behind the minifig on the right.


This is the completed housing.  It is very similar to the original model.


In the lower left hand corner of the module is connection point for the left tower of the module.  The axle will turn the radar module at the top of this tower.  Unlike the previous version, the wires will run down the tower and into the bottom, where the brick controller will be located.

This shows how the motor was incorporated into the module.

One item that is missing so far is lighting and wiring.  Right now I am just building out the module in rough form.  Then I will determine where the lights will go and how the wires will run through the module.  This will entail some rebuilding to hide the wires as much as possible.






No comments:

Post a Comment