Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Platform Connectors with a Variable Angle

 

I found this in a brick pile years ago.  After examining it for a few days, it spawned the idea of the space base.  The idea that I could slowly bend independent modules in a curve was very intriguing.  I discussed this idea in multiple posts, here, here, and here.  I only had two angles and I was hoping that when the curve got to the 90 degree point it would be perpendicular with the front.  But as you can see that did not happen.  This was going to make any cliff wall behind these modules more difficult.  It was already not going to be easy and this just dramatically increased the difficulty factor.

Thus I started out trying to design a sort of variable platform connector.  I started out with the basic connection which is just two wedges and a hinge plate.

I used the 12 x 3 wedge plate because I knew the larger width wedge plates (6 x 3 and 8 x 3) would have to large of a minimum angle.  That would place the module beyond the 90 degree point.

Then I slowly move the module to the 90 degree point and lock it down so it wont move.

This shows the opening of the two wedge plates.

The next step is to find a position for the front hinge plate to connect.  Ideally you want to use the position with three studs in the row, but you can move up one row to the first row with two studs in it.

As you can see neither of these opens the connector enough to achieve the 90 degree setting I want.


Next step is to add a 1 x 2 plate to extend the hinge plate.

This will open up the angle as we see here.

But that is too much angle.  I moved the module to the correct position, but that puts the hinge plate in an undesirable position.  Also the hinge plate is rotating on the single stud connection to the 1 x 2 plate.

I changed out the 1 x 2 plate for a 1 x 3 plate, that at least keeps the hinge plate from rotating on the extension plates.  But the entire hinge plate is still not in a good position.

Now I moved up one row

This is very close, but there is only one stud on each wedge plate.  I need a more stable connection and to verify that this will be where I want the module.   So I swapped out the 1 x 3 plate for a 1 x 4 plate.  This grabs the hinge plate with two studs and grabs the two studs on the wedge plate.

This has the hinge plate in a buildable position and places the module very near the 90 degree point.  

Now I can build the detail that will cover the two (one on each side) platform connectors.






No comments:

Post a Comment