Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Testing LED Functions


This shows a small test jig, I put together to test the Light Buddy 2.  It was quick, but it kept moving, hence the tape.  Even with the tape, it would sometimes be hard to see the LED.  I use this mostly for developing the firmware that produces the different lighting features.  But I can see how this would be useful for someone who is working on the lighting effects before putting it in a MOC.

So I did this.


This is a small PCB with five LEDs and a 2mm connector on the backside.  I have decided going forward, all LED connections will use a 2mm spacing connector that is 2x5.  Thus I will break up the LED connections into groups of five.  The only place so far that is not true is on the Light Buddy 2, which has six LED connections and thus a 2mm connector that is 2x6.  This can still be used, it is just that one LED will not be connected.  

The reasoning was strictly financial.  The PCB fabricator is still having a $5 special on 2 layer boards.  So I can get 30 boards for that price.  The connector is about $1.  The LEDs and resistors I have.  I am in the process of ordering other PCBs again, so the shipping cost will be shared.  Mostly it is my time to build these.  

Are they useful enough for a $4 to $5 retail price.  I don't know, but I guess we will find out.  As a side note for me, these will also make great demos at shows.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment